The Public Works Department is charged with construction and maintenance of public use areas, such as streets, water and sewer systems. There are six separate divisions within Public Works: Street, Water, Pollution Control, Refuse, Construction Services and Transportation.
• Street Department – Responsible for the reconstruction, repair and maintenance and snow removal of 110 miles of streets and roads, 15 bridges and 10 miles of storm drains within the city limits.
• Water Department – Operates the city’s water treatment plant, provides for the distribution of safe drinking water to area residents, commercial customers and wholesale water to surrounding communities, maintains 268 miles of water mains and 368 fire hydrants.
• Pollution Control – Maintains the waste water treatment plant, lagoons and overland flow system, 62 miles of sanitary sewer mains, 763 manholes, 3,400 service connections and eight sewer lift stations.
• Refuse – The city contracts with Allied Waste to provide residential curbside pickup for household trash for all citizens. All trash and recycle carts must be placed at the curb by 7:00 a.m. on your regularly scheduled trash day. Download Trash Route Map and Bulky Item Drop Off information flyer.
Residential Refuse (effective August 1, 2018):
$19.27/month or part thereof for the first cart (per household)
$11.66/month or part thereof for each additional cart (per household)
Note: Your trash cart and recycle cart are the property of Allied Waste. The carts are assigned to your address. If you move, you must notify the City and leave them at the address, otherwise payment for them could be reflected on your final utility bill.
• Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection – The City of Excelsior Springs is a member of the Regional Household Hazardous Waste Program, a service coordinated by the MARC Solid Waste Management District. Residents have year round access to the safe disposal of unwanted products such as paint, lawn and garden chemicals, automotive fluids, batteries, fluorescent bulbs and housecleaners. Business waste is NOT accepted. Residents can access the permanent facilities in Lee’s Summit and Kansas City. For more information, please visit www.recyclespot.org and click on the “HHW” tab, or call 816-701-8226. The Kansas City permanent facility phone number is 816-513-8400 and is open on Thursdays and Fridays from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. The facility is located at 4707 Deramus Avenue, Kansas City, MO. No appointment is necessary.
Download “Safe Alternatives to Common Household Chemicals” brochure.
• Construction Services – Provides construction support to other city departments. To view the cities construction standards and design criteria, view Development Construction Standards.
• Transportation – The City of Excelsior Springs operates the Excelsior Springs Transportation, a bus system providing quality and economical transport services for city residents.
• Stormwater – The growth of our city can increase the amount of stormwater runoff, especially during heavy rains and reduce downstream water quality. Minimizing these impacts requires careful stormwater management.