NOTICE: To contact the Community Development Department, please dial 816-630-0756.
Community Development seeks to serve by implementing adopted land use and building policies and standards through a system of regulations to promote a stable and quality development while protecting the cultural and historic fabric of the community.
The Community Development Department is made up of a team of skilled professionals striving to improve the quality of life in the City through the encouragement of community participation, the effective administration of programs, judicious enforcement of regulations and sound planning practices.
The department is responsible for functions that guide development and planning activities such as:
• Reviewing proposed development activity to determine compliance with City regulations for subdivisions, land development, historic preservation, and zoning;
• Enforcing Zoning and Historic Preservation Ordinances, as well as enforcement of state and local building codes through inspection and approval of new construction within the City;
• Enforcing Property Maintenance Codes and conducting inspections and issuing permits for rental housing, as well as responding to citizen complaints regarding property maintenance and health issues;
• Administering incentives and programs to assist in the development of the community; and
• Developing and implementing the City of Excelsior Springs’ Economic Development strategies and assembling the necessary resources, partners and support to allow the City to meet its goals.
The Community Development Department has four divisions:
Planning and Zoning which seeks to serve by implementing adopted land use and building policies and standards through a system of regulations to promote a stable and quality development while protecting the cultural and historic fabric of the community.
Building Inspections is committed to serving as a partner for solutions in the development of safe, healthy and economically viable neighborhoods and commercial corridors.
Code Compliance works to promote and maintain a safe and healthy living and working environment for our residents, businesses and visitors.
Economic Development partners with developers, landowners, and investors to create wealth in the community by leveraging partnership, incentives and opportunities for the good of the community.
Community Development is located on the lower level of the Hall of Waters building, 201 E. Broadway.